UltraLinq’s Measurement Viewer allows users to measure and annotate images and clips from within UltraLinq Core. Users can make measurements or annotations on any image or clip so long as the Measurement Viewer is calibrated. This viewer is available to all users who have access to an exam; furthermore, users must have UltraLinq’s Flash viewer enabled to utilize the Measurement Viewer.
To access the Measurement Viewer:
1) Click the patient’s name from the UltraLinq Core screen to view the images and clips of an exam.
2) While viewing an image or clip, select the “Measure View” icon from the list of available views (shown below highlighted in orange). Clips must be paused before the measurement tools become available.
3) All images must be calibrated. The Calibration toolbar will appear to the right of the image. DICOM exams will calibrate automatically. Non-DICOM exams require manual calibration of each image prior to using measurement tools (annotations do not require calibration). It is possible (and sometimes necessary) to recalibrate DICOM images (for example: Doppler images may have 2 different areas with different units of measure).
4) To calibrate a device: draw a line along the guide on the image. Type the appropriate value into the “Calibration Value” field, select the correct unit of measure, and click “Calibrate”. Please note: these values are dependent on the type of ultrasound device being used.
5) Once calibration is completed (for non-DICOM exams), all of the measurement tools are available to the user. A description of each is below.
- Line Measurement Tool: This tool allows users to draw a line on an image and determine the length of the line.
- Point Measurement Tool: Users can place the point measurement at the top or bottom of peaks in an M-mode image and determine the distance and velocity of the peak.
- Ellipse Measurement Tool: Used to measure symmetrical round objects. Click at the center and drag out to form a circle
- Free Form Measure: Click and drag to create a form. The measurement viewer will automatically calculate area and circumference.
- Calibrate Tool: Allows users to recalibrate the measurements for an image. This may be necessary if an image has multiple regions with different units of measure (such as Mmode images).
- Arrow Annotation Tool: Use the arrow annotation to place an arrow pointing towards the desired portion of an image. It is not necessary to calibrate the viewer to use the arrow annotations tool.
- Mask Annotation Tool: The mask annotation allows users to draw a black rectangle over portions of an image. This is used to anonymise images within an exam. It is not necessary to calibrate the viewer to use the mask annotations tool.
- Text Annotation Tool: Places a text box on an image allowing the user to free-type. It is not necessary to calibrate the viewer to use the text annotations tool.
- Select Tool: Allows users to move measurements and annotations already placed on an image. You cannot adjust images which have already been saved.
6) Once a measurement is taken, users can copy the measurement and paste it into the worksheet. Unsaved measurements are retained when switching between tabs, but not when switching between exams.
7) UltraLinq supports up to 6 measurements and annotations per image. Clicking “Save” after applying the measurements will create a copy of the image (placed at the end of the exam). The original image is never altered. Additionally, the new images with the measurements cannot be removed once the measurements are saved.